It is estimated that 6.7 million people currently live with chronic wounds and that number is expected to grow at more than two percent for the next decade. The rising incidence is fueled by an aging population and increasing rates of diseases and conditions such as diabetes, obesity and the late effects of radiation therapy.
Untreated chronic wounds can lead to diminished quality of life and possibly amputation of the affected limb.
- Chronic wounds represent a cost of more than $50 billion to the healthcare system.
- More than 29 million people (9.5% of population) have diabetes in the United States (US).
- Almost two million of those people annually will develop a diabetic foot ulcer or other non-healing wound.
Advanced wound care aims to prevent amputations and heal patients in a faster and more cost-effective way.
At the Logansport Memorial Wound Care Center, we follow treatment protocols specifically established for each type of wound. We utilize the latest approaches to wound healing and remain current in new scientific advances in wound care.
A comprehensive team of wound care specialists
The Logansport Memorial Wound Care Center is designed to complement your physicians' services and is committed to the treatment of chronic or non-healing wounds. The Center is made up of a team of professionals, including:
- Physicians with advanced training in wound management and hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- Nursing staff trained in the care of chronic wounds
- Technicians who perform non-invasive studies and various therapies
- Experienced staff to assist with appointments, medical records, and health insurance processing
- A personalized wound treatment program
What is specialized wound care?
Once a treatment plan has been initiated, you will visit the Wound Care Center on a regular basis for specialized treatments and documentation of the progress of your healing. You will also be fully instructed on how to do your own wound care at home between visits, as well as how to protect your wound from further injury. It is very important to remember that you are the most important part of your healing process. Keeping appointments and following directions are critical to attaining a positive healing outcome.
The Logansport Memorial Wound Care Center employs the most technologically advanced wound care therapy, including debridement, topical wound therapy, growth-factor therapy, tissue therapy, dressing selection, special shoes, and patient education. When wounds persist, a specialized and comprehensive approach is required for healing.